Educating the world about Reactive Attachment Disorder through experience, hope, humor and love.
(Warning: nothing here should be taken as medical advice)




Thursday, November 10, 2011

Another day, another battle with The Man...

So the Day Treatment Center was having a meeting.  About my daughter.  And they didn't bother to tell me about it?  I don't think so.  I found out about it the same day I found out they weren't allowing my daughter to carry her diabetes testing kit.  Apparently they decided that even though it was in her IEP that she needs to have her kit on her at all times, hospital rules trumped federal documents.  I don't think so.  So I did what any father would do and I crashed the meeting, demanding that she have access to that kit at all times.  They don't have to let her keep it on her person, but it has to be in the room with her wherever she goes.

There were nurses there, and school administrators, and teachers, and hospital administrators, and a psychiatrist even, and it came down to me and one nurse vs the rest of them.  The teachers and school administrator were putting up the most resistance.... "we don't have the resources to monitor her when she needs to do her finger stick".  OK, granted, it's a bit of a hassle because she has a history of trying to cheat the meter and "adjust" her sugar readings to make them appear lower so she can eat sweets.  But the entire process takes less than 1 minute.  She's in your care and this is what needs to be done to keep her safe.  Suck it up.

Eventually most of them relented.  I, unfortunately, had to get back to work so had to leave the meeting early.  But when I left, only two of the teachers were still grumbling about how to make this work.  Not my problem, really.  They will have to find a way, and the district people had come around and were already working to fix it.  So I left feeling a bit satisfied how it turned out.  Not 100%, but we're getting there.  They still haven't managed to find a nurse to be there 5 days a week, which means my daughter can't attend school on those days when there is no nurse.  It's been almost 2 weeks - I would have thought they'd have somebody by now, but they don't.  That kinda pisses me off as well.  I had such high hopes for this DTC.  Oh well, I'm getting used to fighting to get what my daughter needs.

They also are doing another evaluation.  I'm ok with that, but they asked me to complete another BASC-2 evaluation.  Because of all the structure and supervision, my daughters behaviors are much better.  So I emailed the evaluator and asked her if I should fill it out based on her current behaviors or base it on what she's like without all the structure/supervision - because we're looking at two completely different sets of answers.  I told her I was concerned that because her behaviors were such in check right now they might get the wrong impression and put her back in a mainstream HS.  Which IS the ultimate goal, but there's no way she's ready yet.  The *only* reason she's doing so well is precisely because of all the structure she has right now.  Take that away and we're back where we started.  She got back to me pretty quickly and said to fill it out based on the last 6 months, and that she has the previous BASC-2 data and will compare the two to see what's working and where things still need improvement.

Something tells me this battle isn't over....

No comments:

Post a Comment